Friday, March 22, 2013

Taste of Sydney Festival

Last weekend B-Man & I headed to Centennial Park for the annual Taste of Sydney food festival. Despite being on my hit list for a number of years now, it was a first for both of us, and I have to admit we were very unprepared!

To start off with, all the stalls are cashless, so you're required to purchase 'crowns'. on a taste card, kind of like a credit card. In principle I don't have a major issue with this, but we were surpised that we could not get change and were forced to spend more than we had budgeted (which was not a lot considering it was the week before pay day!) and could not be refunded any money we had not spent at the end of the night.

Enough with the lowlights and onto the highlights!

It was a bit like being in foodie heaven, with rows and rows of stalls serving delicious smelling foods, beer, cider and wine tastings were a plenty, as were bars, demonstrations and products. After a quick lap to suss it out, we decided the best course of action was to grab a drink and work out what we wanted to see and eat! We started at the Rekorderlig bar where I chose to try their new Orange and Ginger cider. I don't usually drink Rekorderlig as I find it super sweet (even for cider), but this was quite pleasant.

 
After a lot of umming and ahh-ing over what to eat, we finally settled on something each.
 
I sampled the Spit Roast Suckingling Pig with Coleslaw and Hot Sauce from Four In Hand, where you could see the team to the left of the stall, cooking mussells whilst the sucking pig was on roation.
 
B-Man braved the Porteno line 50+ people long for BBQ Wagyu Beef Brisket with BBQ Sauce and Pickle - it was difficult, but I managed to convince him to let me have a taste, and the BBQ sauce was amazing. Immediately I want ribs.
 
 
 
As the sun is setting, we agree that the only way to go is straight to the Argyle Exchange tent for Ananas Bar & Brasserie's Salted Caramel Eclair. That alone was worth going for, and I know I am not alone when I say it! In fact typing about it now, I may just need to find some excuse to pop in for another over the weekend!
 
 
 
As our crowns were low and we were keen to get home for Avatar in 3D, we decided to call it a night. I was disappointed to have missed demonstrations by some of my favourite chefs, and on sampling more food (Maggie Beer's Roast Pear & Duck Sliders, anything from Sake & Peter Kuruvita would have realy made my night!) but we have vowed to be much more prepared this time next year when the festival hits town again.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment