Friday, March 1, 2013

Back on Track

After a weekend of cheating (on my diet) I am back on track with some cracking meals.

My best plan of attack, as I've mentioned previously, is preparation. Seeing as I hoard foodie paraphenalia I am never short of books, magazines, blogs and websites to gve me something new to try my hand at or inpsire dinner. This week I found a January edition of an old Good Taste magazine that caught my eye with a number of recipes. This was the result...

For lunch I am having a canellini bean, avocado, beetroot and feta salad. I am not a huge fan of canellini beans, but I gave them a go in this salad and I quite enjoy the creamy texture they bring. The recipe that inspired me to make this used croutons and goats cheese. Unfortunately when it comes to goats cheese I have an expensive pallet, so I only indulge on special occasions. I chose to use feta for this instead and you could also add some poached or BBQ chicken if you so desired. More importantly, it is super quick and easy to make.

White Bean and Goats Cheese Salad - Serves 4

Ingredients:
100g baby rocket leaves
50g snow peas, topped and shredded
1 x 420g tin of cannellini beans, drained & rinsed
2 tbs olive oil
1 tbs fig balsamic glaze*
1 x 450g tin of baby beets, cut into wedges
1 x avocado, halved and thickly sliced
110g goats cheese (I used Lemnos Smooth Feta instead, cut into 1cm cubes)
12 Vita vigor mini ciabatte, coursley broken

Method:
1. Place rocket, snow peas and beans in a large bowl and toss to combine. Divide the snow pea mixture among serving dishes or place on a larger platter.
2. Whisk together the oil and balsamic glaze in a small jug.
3. Top the rocket mixture with the beetroot and avocado.
4. Spread the goats cheese oer each piece of ciabatta and arrange on the salad. Drizzle over the dressing and season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.

 
 
The second winner this week was...
 
Chicken Souvlaki with Spiced Pita Bread - Serves 4

Ingredients:
2 x tsp red wine vinegar
2 tsp dried oregano
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 tsp sweet paprika
60ml (1/4 cup) olive oil
600g chicken breast fillets, cut into 4cm pieces
1 x large brown onion, halved, thickly sliced
125ml (1/2 cup) passata
4 x rounds pita bread
3 x cups baby spinach
120g (1/2 cup) bought garlic dip or sauce, to serve
Cinnamon spiced pickles, to serve

Method:
1. Comine vinegar, oregano, galic, half the paprika and one third of the oil in a bowl. Add chicken and onion. Stir to coat.
2. Combine the passata nd remaining paprika in a bowl.
3. Pre-heat a barbeque grill or chargrill on medium high. Cook the chicken and onion on grill, turning once, for 5mins or until cooked through. Transfer to a plate ad cover with foil to keep warm.
4. Preheat grill on high. Cut bread into wedges. Place on a baking tray. Drizzle over the remaining oil. Cook under grill for 2mins or until toasted. Spread the passata mixture over the bread.
5. Divide the spinach, bread, chicken and onion among serving plates. Serve with garlic dip and cinnamon spiced pickles.




No comments:

Post a Comment