Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Easter Long Weekend

How was everyone's long weekend?

I took the time to get as much R&R as possible and started watching the first series of Game of Thrones - which I must say is amazeballs!

I am also proud to say I managed to get through the entire weekend with verry little chocolate consumption - this may be a first! I did bake some indulgent Cadbury Creme Egg Brownies for B-man though, which are so rich even he is struggling to polish them off! I am much more of a hot cross bun girl myself, and although I try to eat clean and gluten free 90% of the time, I always end up on a 5 day bun binge over the long weekend.

In a Pre-Easter moment of weakness I stopped by one of my favourite sweet shops, Sweetness Patisserie, to check out their range of bunnies and accidentally ended up leaving with a sample of their tasty delights. My mixed bag consisted of chocolate Easter bunny pops, lime & poppy seed shortbread (gluten free), caramel apples *squeal!*, handmade marshmallows (for the record, I would like to buried on a bed of these light, soft, fluffy & totally delectable delights), lemon curd and chocolate dipped candied orange slices. If you can't already tell, the caramel apples were my fave, and I can never go past a cheeky 2-pack of their marshmallows, particularly the passion fruit ones. The choc oranges went to my Mum, review pending!

I also tried my hand at a moorish salt & pepper chicken that B-Man loved so much he said it was one of the best dinners I've ever cooked him. So, of course, I had to share it with you.

Salt & Pepper Chicken with Thai Dipping Sauce - Serves 4

Ingredients:
2 x chicken breast fillets
2 x eggs white
1/2 cup rice flour
1/2 cup plain flour
3 tsp sea salt flakes
3 tsp Chinese five spice
3 tsp freshly ground black pepper
Rice bran oil, to deep fry
Shredded iceberg lettuce, curled shallot tails and sliced red chilli, to serve
Thai Dipping Sauce
60ml (1/4 cup) fresh lime juice
1 1/2 tbs brown sugar
2 tbs sweet chilli
1 tbs fish sauce

Method:
1. Cut chicken, diagonally, into 5mm thick slices.
2. Use a fork to whisk egg whites in a bowl until foamy. Add chicken & toss to coat. Place combined flours, salt, five spice & pepper in a bowl.
3. To make the dipping sauce, whisk lime juice, sugar, sweet chilli & fish sauce Ina bowl.
4. Heat oil to 180°C in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add 1/4 of the chicken to the flour mixture & toss to coat. Shake off excess & add to the oil, 1 piece at a time, & cook for 2-3 mins or until golden & cooked through. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel. Repeat in 3 more batches.
5. Arrange the lettuce on a serving platter & top with chicken. Sprinkle with shallots & chilli. Serve with dipping sauce.

What long weekend baking did you get up to? Where do you stand on the choc v hot x bun divide?











No comments:

Post a Comment