Wednesday, April 24, 2013

The Soup Challenge

Winter is coming.

The air is different. The light is different. The garden starts changing. This past week I have dusted off my coral ugg boots and found that salads are not really cutting it as 'go-to' quick and easy meals. I am craving meals that are heartier and warming, so I have turned my attention to soups. I can whiz up a batch quickly, easily and with little clean up; freeze it and a la peanut butter sandwiches!, I have a meal that is ready in a few minutes for lunch at work or for dinner during the week. Not to mention that you can cram them full of your favourite vegies and top them with fresh herbs, chilli and a dollop of greek yoghurt so it is full of flavour but with nothing to get all bloated about!

My last post was a Zucchini Soup recipe, and this week I have called upon the greeny goodness of Broccoli. I've always felt sorry for Broccoli. It has long been one of those vegetables that is un-loved and mistreated. I don't really remember being a broccoli or vegie hater as a kid, but I certainly wasn't going out of my way to eat them! As I have grown, my palate has changed and as I have focused more on clean eating, I am discovering just how good they can be.

Broccoli Soup
Serves 4

Ingredients
1 tbs olive oil
1 x garlic clove, finely sliced
2 x eschalots, finely diced
1.2kg (approx 3-4 heads) of broccoli, cut into small florets
1L chicken stock
140g greek yoghurt
zest of 1 lemon
chopped chives

Method:
1. Bring stock to a boil in a medium saucepan.
2. Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large saucepan. Add eschalots and garlic and cook for 2mins until soft. Add broccoli and cook, stirring until bright green.
3. Add hot stock and bring to the boil. Cook for 5-10 minutes, until broccoli is tender. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Remove pan from heat and whiz with a stick blender until you reach your desired consistency*.
5. Combine yoghurt, zest & chives in a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
6. Serve hot soup in bowls with a dollop or two of yoghurt.

* Personally, there are few soups that I like pureed until they're completely smooth, and I prefer them thick rather than liquidy, so I leave a few bits un-blended to give it some texture.

All this talk of soup has inspired me to launch another challenge - a soup challenge. Each week I endeavour to find and create a new delicious soup recipe. The good news is, this can include some of my all time favourite asian dishes - laksa and pho, that I have never attempted at home before. Think dumplings, tortellini, chunky-garlicky croutons vegies, seafood stews - the list is endless and I can see this will certainly keep me occupied! If you're keen to participate, please send me some ideas for recipes I should try and I will give it a go and post the results!

Happy souping!





No comments:

Post a Comment